ONLINE TRAINING RESOURCES
- Texas Gateway: Texas' online learning community (formerly known as Project Share), designed to provide professional development resources and collaboration opportunities. Create an account to join free online courses.
- Concept to Classroom: A series of free online workshops provided by WNET. Topics include: Collaborative & Cooperative Learning, Inquiry-Based Learning, Interdisciplinary Learning, Tapping into Multiple Intelligences, WebQuests, the Internet as Interactive Tool for the Classroom, and more.
- UC Irving OpenCourseWare: UC Irving offers a number of lectures and courses regarding online. Selecting the "Education" tab at their site provides a number of resources regarding language/literacy and gifted education. Topics of interest to teachers are: What Differentiation Should Look Like and Classroom Applications of 21st Century Skills.
- Coursera: Coursera offers many free online courses. This link will take you to the Teacher Professional Development listing. Some courses are self-paced, and some are offered only at specific times. Some of the self-paced topics include: Get Organized: How to be a Together Teacher, Teaching Character and Creating Positive Classrooms, and Art & Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies for Your Classroom.
ONLINE PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS / PUBLICATIONS
- Edutopia: Edutopia is a website founded by the George Lucas Education Foundation. They have many articles and videos available, along with a free newsletter.
- Common Sense Media: This site provides reviews, information, and lessons for parents and teachers as they help guide young people learn how to use media and technology wisely. They also provide an opportunity to sign up for newsletters geared toward the specific needs of children at different age levels.
ONLINE COLLABORATION RESOURCES
- Google Drive - Use your FISD Google account to collaborate on documents and projects.
- Texas Gateway: Texas' online learning community (formerly known as Project Share), designed to provide professional development resources and collaboration opportunities. Create an account to join professional learning groups.
- Edmodo: This site allows teachers to set up classes to distribute lessons and assignments to students, but also allows teachers to share ideas and lessons in a professional learning community of Edmodo users.
Original image: "Open 24 Hours" by Marcin Wichary, published with Creative Commons attribution license
Image alterations by Frances Mahaffey